To:  Conservation Commission Members           cc: Selectboard and Public Notice

 

From:  Larry T. Spencer, Chair

 

RE: Minutes of the Commission Meeting held 18 February 2004 at 19:00 in the Town Hall

 

Date:  28 February 2004

 

Agenda Items

  1. Approval of January meeting minutes—approved as distributed
  2. Discussion with Roger Larochelle of the Squam Lakes Conservation Society concerning easements, mapping, etc.

 

Roger mentioned the following things. The Society holds 16 easements in Holderness, 46 total. The acres involved in all easements is ca 1800. They are working with SLA and LRCT on maximizing the efforts of all three groups by avoiding overt competition and dividing up the “work load”. SLCS is strongly involved in gaining easements and monitoring same.  Some on going projects include some new easements on Big Squam, a possible easement in east Holderness, efforts to link some easements, conserving the uplands of Red Hill, working with local land owners to change properties from “unprotected” conservation properties to conservation easements. Also underdiscussion is an effort to have a National Historic District on Squam Lake that would include campsteads of Squam in the period pre-1920 (there are 72 such homes).We discussed our goals with him.  We mentioned that we are interested in protecting the headwaters of streams that flow into Big Squam and into the Pemi River. We mentioned our thoughts about Mt. Prospect. He has it on his long term agenda to talk with Mrs. Smith about possible easements.  It was agreed that he would involved the Conservation Commission in those talks as our long range plan for a cross town trail could possibly pass through her land.

 

  1. Reports on meetings and committees
    1. PSU Master Plan Presentation by Bill Crangle—Chairperson

 

Bill presented the PSU master plan for the interval to the selectmen and myself. They plan to add new swimming pools, classroom facilities and a hockey rink.  Their plan also involves buying up homes along North River Street and converting the area into a park. The Chair mentioned that doing so my offset building in the flood plain. With Crangle were some of the “planners”. Some discussion was had about the gravel aquifiers in the interval and how the construction of parking lots and buildings were inhibit the ground penetration of precipitation. Planners indicated that they would take this fact into consideration in the plan and if and when the plan went ahead would minimize those effects.

 

 

  1. Permits and other matters (TBD—to be determined by visit to mail box)
    1. Neshiem fast track application for refacing of concrete waslls
    2. Webster Property intent to cut. Discussion of letter from Linda Magoon (DES). She indicated in that letter that Wagner Woodlands could not go ahead with cut as the access to the cut was across and adjacent to wetlands.  She had done an on site survey.  She had called me before sending the letter to Wagner Woodlands. Discussion was around the fact that we were not really involved very closely in these intent to cut projects, nor were the maps provide in the applications detailed enough to determine indeed whether the projects might have impact on wetlands.
    3. Randy currier—East Holderness

 

  1. Matters from the last meeting
    1. Plymouth Well-head protection—Granted by DES

 

Chair received e-mail from Plymouth Water and Sewer chair, Richard Flanders and also from DES section. The latter indicated that Holderness would have to be informed about anything associated with the well-protection zone area that was in Holderness.

 

    1. Jacque’s letter to property owners about possible trail—postponed from last meeting

 

Jacque presented her corrected copy.  She will contact landowners and arrange for a meeting at the Central School

 

    1. Prime wetland matters—Permit to cut on Webster lands, conversation with DES person  See item 4b
    2. Possible trail work by Holderness School students—Reggie

 

Reggie and Larry will work on this matter. Larry will show Reggie the things that can be done and Reggie will determine when and how many students he can get.

 

  1. Winter schedule of meetings, events and jobs:
    1. Open house day in March—Decided to do the 13th from 10 until noon.  Larry will send article to Plymouth paper. He will also contact Peter to see about plowing of Town Forest lot.
    2. Build-out meeting in February—Organized by Planning Board.  Will be held the 26 of February at 7pm.
    3. Update on Squam Lakes Watershed Comprehensive Mapping Project—Maps will be produced that will be useful to both the master plan and for our planning purposes. We will have to attend a meeting Spring/Summer in order to receive the maps.
  2. Other Business

Anne’s letter to selectmen about gravel pit has been received by the Selectboard. They will discuss it after they have finished work on the budget.

Queston was raised as to “Where is Lynn?”  Chair will call her to see if she wants to continue to be on the Commission.

Barbara also mentioned that Paul had received a note from a town person who was willing to serve on town committee and that Paul would be contacting us on this matter.

 

 

CC members in attendance

 

Reggie Pettitt, Jacque Jewell, Anne Packard, Barbara Currier, Larry Spencer, and guest Roger Larochelle of SLCS

 

 

2003 Holderness Conservation Commission Members:  Reggie Pettit, Lynn Morrison, Anne Packard, Jacque Jewell, Larry Spencer, Chair