Town of Holderness, NH

Conservation Commission Meeting

February 19, 2008

Town Office

 

CALL TO ORDER:   The meeting was called to order at 4:10 p.m. by Chairman Spencer.

 

PRESENT:  Larry Spencer, Barbara Currier, and Janet Cocchiaro.

 

OTHERS PRESENT:   Steve Walker of NH Office of State Planning, June Thomas, and Anne Abear (municipal secretary)

 

MINUTES:   Minutes of the January 15, 2007 meeting were unavailable for review and will be discussed at the March 2008 meeting.  Mr. Spencer will request the minutes from Ms. Whitmore.

 

NH Office of State Planning (LCIP Stewardship) –

 

            Steve Walker of the Office of State Planning attended the meeting to discuss the three (3) properties that funding had been received from the NH LCIP program to acquire properties for conservation preservation.

 

            Mr. Walker presented preliminary folders for each parcel to assist in the filing necessities for the easement and explained how his office handles their easement files.  Mr. Walker advised reports are received from the Town (annually) and every 5 years a site visit of the properties is conducted by his office.

 

            Holderness properties holding easements through the LCIP program include Morrill, Crawford and the Pilote properties.  Mr. Spencer advised the Pilote (and Morrill) property is (ies are) owned by the Town while the Morrill and (delete Morrill and) Crawford properties are easements given to the Town for conservation preservation.

 

            Mrs. Cocchiaro questioned where the State gets their information in order to map the wetlands?  Mrs. Spencer advised the State would have used the prime wetlands maps (submitted to DES when the town adopted the Prime Wetlands). 

 

            Mr. Walker advised reminders of reports due to the State will be sent out in March or April.  Further, Mr. Walker discussed the need for the Commission to contact each owner who has given an easement to the community to reassure that they understand the requirements of the easement and what the Commission may have for plans for the property. Mr. Walker advised the Commission has a responsibility to also contact any new land owner who may purchase a property which holds an easement.

 

            Ms. Cocchiaro discussed the need to educate the community in the importance of conservation easements and to let them know the easements that are available for their use.  Mr. Spencer recommended a handout be prepared for the upcoming Town Meeting which will contain information on all of Holderness’ easements and maps will be available to the easement locations.

 

Permits and other matters -

 

  1. Mr. Spencer discussed the NH DES minimum impact permit application for map 231 lot 012—001.  The work is for the placement of 2 boardwalks to be built totaling 845 feet.
  2. A notice was received from NH DES regarding the Taylor Family’s intent to cut filed for lot 242-005.  The notice indicated the property owner may start work provided all of the conditions have been met.
  3. A bill from NHTOA was received for membership dues in the amount of $55.  The Board authorized this payment.

 

Upcoming meetings and courses

 

  1.  The watershed conference will be held in April of 2008

 

Old Business

 

  1. Town Energy Committee Meeting – Mr. Spencer updated the Board on the energy audits that had been completed by Mr. Johnstone of NHEC of the town buildings.  The committee expects to meet the beginning of March to discuss the audits.
  2. Status of Warrant Articles for Planning Board – The Board reviewed the warrant articles for the 2008 Town Meeting warrant and Mr. Spencer will write a letter asking for support on two of the articles that pertain to the Conservation Commission.  Ms. Currier will discuss the need for the Board of Selectmen and other committees who are recommending warrant article to stand up and discuss the warrant articles at Town Meeting.
  3. Status of the conservation fund – Ms. Currier advised that the fund currently holds $45,055.14 and the request for 2008 will be for $5,000.  The Board discussed the request of $25,000 that had been asked for this year and it was not recommended by the Board of Selectmen.
  4. Update of Royea’s – Ms. Currier advised the Town Planner (David Lorch) will be meeting with Mr. Royea to discuss the status of the renewed junkyard license of last year.

 

New Business

 

  1. Schedule of 2008 Commission Meetings and Mailbox – The next meeting of the Conservation Commission will be held on 3/18/08 at 4:00 p.m.
  2. Planning for spring vernal pools workshop – Tentatively scheduled for 4/12/08 with a snow date of 4/19/08.  Mr. Spencer moved and Mrs. Cocchiaro supported to authorize the expenditure of $60 for the production and disbursement of fliers for the vernal pools workshop.  Vote was unanimous.  Motion passed.
  3. June BioBlitz – Mr. Spencer advised this event is still in the planning stages, but the dates have been set for 6/6/086/7/08 beginning at 3:00 p.m. and ending at 3:00 p.m. respectively.  Anyone wishing to be part of this event should contact the Squam Lakes Conservation Society, Squam Lakes Association, or Mr. Spencer.
  4. Plans for April 3rd meeting – A meeting will be held at the SLA regarding the new Shorelands Protection Act.  Members of the Commission recommend trying to get additional meetings set up in June, July and/or August to try to get the information to the summer residents.
  5. Open House at Pilote and Town Forest – The Board discussed holding an open house at the town conservation properties after Town meeting.  The Board decided to announce an open house will be held on March 15 beginning at 10:00 a.m.  Mr. Spencer will create a flier to be handed out at Town Meeting.

 

Other Business

 

  1. Possible future easements – Mr. Spencer advised he spoke with Mr. Larochelle regarding acquiring additional land for conservation purposes off of Perch Pond Road.

 

ADJOURNMENT:  Mr. Spencer adjourned the meeting at 5:25 p.m. 

 

 

Respectfully submitted, Anne M. Abear Municipal Secretary