To:  Conservation Commission Members                    cc: Selectboard and Public Notice

 

From:  Larry T. Spencer, Chair

 

Date:  16 November 2007

 

Re:  Minutes of the meeting held on the 15 November 2007, 7 pm, downstairs, Holderness town hall, Note: Due to scheduling conflicts, the meeting scheduled for the 8th of November was  rescheduled to this date 

 

Minutes (as taken by the chair)

 

1.      Approval of Minutes of our last  meeting (these are posted on the website: http://www.holdernessconservationcommission.org)--Approved as distributed. Commissioners commented on the quality of the minutes taken by Ms. Abear

2.      Permits and other matters (mailbox check)

a.       Only one item in mailbox. The agent for Lori Bratzler property copied us with a letter sent to Darlene Forst of DES, on questions she had raised about the project on Paugus Road. The commission had some comments about the idea of a perched beach and whether that was an environmentally sound idea. 

3.      Up Coming Meetings and courses.

a.       Annual Watershed meeting—17th of November, Concord  Tech.—No one expressed interest in attending

b.      GIS Extension Courses—Chair will forward either link or e-mail about this matter.

4.      Old Business

a.       Snowy Owl Woods Project—Larry—Jacque had sent notice that she would miss the Commission meeting as she needed to be present at the Planning Board meeting. We also planned to try to get out work done quickly so members could go upstairs to the PB meeting when that item came up. Attorney Fitzgerald and Mrs. Paula Reynolds were present and we mentioned that we had not heard from the Wetlands Board as to our request and that we would notify them as soon as we did.

b.      Draft letter to Selectboard about Conservation Fund Request (this has been sent to the Commissioners)—Some slight changes were made to the document. It was moved second and passed unanimously to adopt the letter with the changes. The chair will forward the adopted document to the Selectboard and to the Town Administrator. Barbara mentioned that the Selectboard has not scheduled any meetings on budget matters, but might possibly do so this coming Monday. The Commission would like to meet with the Selectboard. It was agreed that we should have available a document indicating what other area towns do with the Penalty Tax monies.

c.      Pilote Forest Trail Word Day—Larry—The chair was unaware of the fact that Deer Hunting Season started Tuesday. Thus it is not a good time to be in the woods. It was thought that if snow is not on the ground when the season ends, the Commission might possibly be able to schedule a work day. We agreed to play this by ear.

d.      Annual Meeting of NHACC-ShelaghShelagh was the only member of the commission able to attend the annual meeting of the NHACC. She mentioned the following items about the meeting:

                                                              i.      The session on being a beginning Conservation Commissioner was disappointing

                                                           ii.      The session on what was adopted by the legislature with respect to the Comprehensive Shoreline Proposal was good. See new business of a follow-up on this.

                                                         iii.      She mentioned the idea that there are three documents of importance to Conservation Commissions, the handbook, the town ordinances and the town master plan. All members now have the handbook. The chair mentioned that the town ordinances are on the town website. The chair was asked to contact the Town Secretary as to obtaining copies of the master plan.

                                                          iv.      Shelagh also showed a map that dealt with “natural service network”. From discussion it was decided that we needed to re-examine the Squam Watershed maps and the NH Wildlife Plan.

e.      Path under Pemi BridgeThe chair mentioned that he had examined the underpasses on both sides of the new Pemi Bridge. The Plymouth side has fine material covering  its path, but has a very steep paved access from the bridge on one side and a steep unpaved access on the other side. The Holderness side has only coarse rock with no real connections on the south side. This matter fits into our long term plans for a path going from the Conservation property on South River Street north to the juncture of the Baker and Pemi Rivers.

5.      New Business

a.       Schedule of 2008 Commission Meetings and Mailbox schedule planning—Due to all sorts of conflicts, those present agreed to meet on the 13th of December from 4 to 5:30 at the townhall for our December meeting. At that time we will organize the Spring meeting schedule and talk more about mail box checking.

b.      Report on Phenology Workshop and planning for Spring Vernal Pools Workshop—The chair mentioned that he had attended a Northeast Phenology Network meeting in Durahm, NH and had presented information about the Vernal Pool workshop held last April and plans for another workshop this coming April. For this coming workshop, we will expand the area and contact regional conservation commissions.

c.      With reference to dii, the Commission decided to organize a regional meeting on what was passed by the NH Legislature with respect to proposed changes in the Comprehensive Shoreline Protection Act. Shelagh will contact Arlene Allen to find what time she might have. It is thought that a Wednesday night in February or March would be good.

d.      The chair mentioned that he had received the packet from LCHIP about annual monitoring of easements and properties. He will take care of those three properties. It was agreed that Barbara Currier and Betsy Whitmore will monitor the Chabot Easement on Butternut Lane and the Adie Easement near the end of East Holderness Road. The Chair will contact LCHIP for suitable monitoring forms. It was also decided that the monitors should inform the Adies that they will be monitoring that easement incase, they might want to be present.

6.      Other Business

a.       An e-mail was received from Commissioner Jewell concerning a driveway and wetlands on Perch Pond Road. Anne Packard will make a site visit to see what is up.

 

Note:  The December meeting will be held on the 13th of December, from 4 to 5:30 pm downstairs in the Townhall.

 

 CC members in attendance:  Barbara Currier, Selectboard; Larry Spencer, Chair; Betsy Whitmore, Shelagh Connelly and Anne Packard.  Nancy McDonald and Janet Coachiarro had notified the chair about schedule conflicts

 

Guests:  Attorney Fitzgerald and Mrs. Paula Reynolds